Login |  Register

Welcome
Welcome to realmsofconflict

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Suggestion for Armorsmithing 10 and Blacksmithing 10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 pm 
Armorsmithing 10 and Blacksmithing 10 are listed as training in the points cost chart. At level 10 of both the smith gains the ability to make special armors or weapons out of magical components via recipes found or learned in game.

At present, the level 10 training for each requires the player to come up with their own recipe for a magical item. I suggest removing this requirement and just have a player able to learn 10 without acquiring a magical recipe. The real thing they get at these levels is the ability to make masterwork great weapons and long thrusting weapons or masterwork plate mail. They could then seek out recipes in game for special, magical items.

I don't think players should need to learn to create magical items in order to create masterwork versions of great weapons, long thrusts, and plate. Having this be a regular training would allow the player to be able to make these masterwork items more readily and would also free up their training queue to learn other things. Having them still need to find or learn recipes in game also prevents a situation where they learn level 10 quickly and then start pumping out magical items.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

Post subject: Re: Suggestion for Armorsmithing 10 and Blacksmithing 10
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:38 pm 
I agree with your sentiment. You should be able to train max masterwork then train magic recipes once a master. Much like trackers may train for specialties after level 5.

To be honest, however, I would want to make a much bigger change. With everything else taking the trend towards fewer levels for simplicity, I would like to see armorsmithing and weaponsmithing drop to 5 levels as well. I would like to see something like this:

armorsmithing 1) Craft any mundane padded or leather armor (mundane armor level 1-2)
May repair broken mundane armor piece in 10 minutes with forge + tools.
armorsmithing 2) Craft Mundane Chain, scale or brig (mundane armor level 3-4)
May craft any mundane accessory or clothing.
1/day smith during game, May craft any armor you could make for material cost. 5 minutes per level.
armorsmithing 3) Craft Mundane plate,
Craft masterwork leather (mundane armor level 5, masterwork level 1-2)
May repair broken armor piece in 5 minutes with forge + tools.
armorsmithing 4) Craft Masterwork chain, scale, or brig (masterwork armor level 3-4)
May craft ant masterwork accessory or clothing.
May repair destroyed non-magical armor piece for half base cost in 10 minutes with forge + tools.
armorsmithing 5) Craft Masterwork plate (masterwork armor level 5)
May quest for recipes to make magical armor.
May quest to repair destroyed magical armor piece.

Weaponsmithing 1) Craft any mundane short weapon (tiny or small weapon)
May repair broken mundane weapon in 10 minutes with forge + tools.
weaponsmithing 2) Craft Mundane 1 handed weapon, shield, or bow
May craft any mundane tool or accessory
1/day during game, May craft any mundane weapon at base cost. 5 minutes per level.
weaponsmithing 3) Craft Mundane weapon of any size
Craft masterwork tiny small weapon
May repair broken weapon in 5 minutes with forge + tools.
weaponsmithing 4) Craft Masterwork 1 handed weapon, shield, or bow
May craft any masterwork tool or accessory
May repair destroyed non-magical armor piece for half base cost in 10 minutes with forge + tools.
weaponsmithing 5) Craft Masterwork weapon of any size
May quest for recipes to make magical weapons.
May quest to repair destroyed magical weapon.

Dropping these to 5 levels puts them more in line with refinements and ritual creation. Some players think that all smithing should be lumped into a single 'smithing' skill, but as someone who likes to craft IRL, I actually like the distinction between weapons and armor.

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:58 pm 
Site Admin
What about doing it in 6 levels, levels 1-5 as you purposed and then a level six would be like master Smith allowing the production of magical items with the skill and the ability to repair them ?

Realms of Conflict Owner and Rules Writer

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:09 pm 
That would work well. If you were going to do it that way, I think it would be best to have weapon/armor smithing go up to level 5, then have a special separate 'magic smith' skill that requires level 5 weapon/armor smithing. There is precedence for skills that require other skills be mastered before you can purchase them. I would want it as it's own special skill only because most skills have 3, 5, or 10 levels. Having only one skill in the game with 6 levels would upset me. ;P

Report this post
Profile  Offline

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:30 am 
Site Admin
RYan if you would like to write it up and submit it to the rules committee.

Realms of Conflict Owner and Rules Writer

Report this post
Profile  Offline